Designing Your Dream HomeHow to Prepare
Designing a custom home can be an exciting
and stressful process
We want to help take the stress out of the project and make it
an enjoyable experience
Once you meet with Walker Home Design, the design process will be in full swing.
We will start to design your custom home. If you have any questions about what to bring to the initial meeting, how to prepare or what the design process is like, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 801.930.9499.
Have fun gathering ideas for you new home!
There are a few things to do ahead of time if you are thinking about building a custom home.
1. Determine a budget
- If needed, talk with a loan officer and get pre-approved for a construction loan and a loan to purchase a lot if needed.
- In your budget, include the cost of the lot, what you can spend to build the home as well as funds for landscaping, furniture and moving expenses.
2. Purchase a lot
When purchasing a lot, there are many things to consider:
- The area of town
- Local property taxes
- Nearby schools
- The slope of the lot
- Build-able area of the lot
3. Do some research
Once you know the size of house you can build on the lot and you know a budget for what size of house you can build, start doing some research into the types of floor plans and exterior styles that you like. Create a Pinterest account and a Houzz account to save images of homes you like and to gather ideas.
4. Schedule a meeting with Walker Home Design
Give us a call at 801.930.9499 to schedule a meeting to begin the design process. At this meeting all interested parties should be present (spouses, partners, etc). Plan on 2 hours for the initial meeting.
Please bring the following items with you to the meeting:
- The plat map or site plan of your lot
- CC&Rs and/or architectural review for your development if applicable
- A topography report of your lot if you have one
- Your wish list of your “must haves” and “nice to have” items you would like to see in your house
- Your builder’s contact information (if you have a builder already, if not it’s ok).
- Credit card or personal check if you would like to secure Walker Home Design to design your custom house plan
- Before the meeting, please share your Pinterest boards and Houzz Idea Books with Jamie